Terms & Conditions of Hire
‘The Council’ and ‘we’ mean
‘Woking Borough Council of the Civic Offices,
The Council owns and manages H.G.Wells Conference and Events Centre, which, for reference purposes shall be herein referred to as ‘The Venue’
‘The Client’ and ‘You’ means the organisation, individual, body or company responsible for the commissioning of and payment for the event by this contract duly booked at the venue.
‘The Contract’ means the agreement between The Council and The Client for a specific booking or series of bookings. These Terms and Conditions will form part of the contract, together with any other terms stated in the contract.
1. To secure your booking
To confirm your reservation and to ensure that we have the correct information for your event, you are requested to return our booking form within 7 * days as alternatively the space may be released. Bookings remain provisional until this contract is signed by both parties.
2. Delegate numbers
When confirming numbers on the booking form, please ensure that they are realistic in relation to your event. The delegate numbers for which you contract will be used as the basis for your final account and will be subject to our cancellation policy as detailed below. We do, however, understand that numbers can reduce and with this in mind we allow for a 10% variance in delegate numbers if notified to us in writing more than 14 days prior to the event.
3. Cancellations or amendments
In the unfortunate event that you cancel or reduce your numbers, cancellation fees will be charged in accordance with this clause. We will endeavour to re- sell your space and, if successful, any payments received for such space sold will be taken into account, based on the applied percentage, when calculating your cancellation fee. All cancellations and amendments must be confirmed to us in writing. On receipt of this confirmation the notice period becomes effective and excess space will be released for re-sale. Fees for cancellations/reductions in numbers are calculated as detailed below and are based on the total value of the confirmed booking.
Period of notice given before event arrival date:
More than 120 days 20%
91 – 120 days 30%
61 – 90 days 60%
31 - 60 days 80%
0 - 30 days 100%
4. Final confirmation of attendees
Final timings, numbers, equipment, beverages, menu selection and special dietary requirements must be confirmed in writing no later than 7 (Seven) days prior to the event date. It is not The Venue’s responsibility to chase final numbers or requirements.
5. Event rooms and facilities
Delegate numbers will be taken into consideration when allocating your event room. Delegate packages are available daily from 0800 until 1700. Special arrangements and charges may be made for events beginning or ending outside of these hours. We reserve the right to change allocated rooms and advertised facilities at our absolute discretion and to vary our brochure from time to time. No liability is accepted for any errors or omissions in our brochures.
To confirm a booking The Venue requires the return of a signed & completed contract. A deposit of at least 50% (fifty) of the estimated total value of the booking may be required on signing the contract. You will be notified of this by The Venue. If required payment must be in sterling and cheques are payable to ‘Woking Borough Council’.
You are responsible for all allocated rooms during the period of the booking. Any damage to the rooms or their contents incurred as a result of the acts, omissions or default on the part of you, your guests, employees, subcontractors or representatives or their guests may result in a charge to remedy such damage. The client, their guests, employees or third party subcontractors will be liable for the cost of repairs carried out as a result of any damage caused to any property or equipment owned by H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre by the negligence, wilful act or default of any such person. H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre accepts no liability for the loss or damage to any equipment or personal belongings brought onto the property by you, your guests, employees or associated third parties.
Please note that for all outside caterers a count out/ count in system will be in place, and all equipment must be returned in the condition in which it was assigned.
So far as is permitted by law H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre limits and excludes liability to you, your guests, employees and third party subcontractors as follows;
Any equipment brought to any H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre premises by you, your guests, employees or third party subcontractors is brought by that person at their own risk and you will indemnify us against all liability arising in connection with the use of the equipment. Public Liability Insurance is required at a minimum of £10 million.
You and any third party subcontractors employed by you and your guests for the purpose of organising and providing additional external events (such as teambuilding) will be required to comply with all applicable statutory requirements including relevant Health and Safety regulations and to provide liability insurance commensurate with the risks involved, appropriate method statements, risk assessments, licenses and demonstrate additional competency skills required to manage the event, in compliance with relevant Health and Safety Law. H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre shall not be responsible for the damage or loss of any merchandise or articles left in any of its premises.
P.A.T. (Portable Appliance Test) Certificates are required on all electrical equipment brought into the venue.
9. Statutory Legislation
H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre is subject to statutory regulations including, without limitation, Liquor Licensing, Fire Regulations, Health, Safety and Environment. Clients, their employees, their guests and associated third parties must therefore comply with these requirements as may be directed and enforced by H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre.
10. Invoicing and payment
Unless otherwise stated by us, the invoice will be raised on the date of the event and forwarded to you for payment. Payment is required within 30 days of date of invoice. In the event that you wish any of the charges to be settled on your behalf by individual delegates, written notification of this is required 14 days in advance. Any acceptance by us of such proposals is without prejudice to our rights to hold you responsible for the full amount of the invoice and/or cancellation/non-arrival charges. All rates are quoted exclusive of VAT (unless stated otherwise).
11. Commission (PRECEDES AND SUPERCEDES ANY Agency Terms & Conditions)
H.G. Wells agrees to pay 8% + VAT on client invoices presented by a conference agency or event management company subject to the discretion of H.G. Wells Management, additional percentages will be agreed separately with individual companies subject to offers or incentives.
It is not permissible to deduct commission from invoices but to submit your own invoice in writing to H.G. Wells. We shall consider any deductions as monies unpaid and thus be governed by our terms and conditions as stated within.
We pay commission on the following only:
- Room Hire
- Day Delegate Packages
- Pre- Booked Food and Beverages
In the event that you become bankrupt, cease to trade, have a receiver appointed or make any voluntary arrangement with your creditors , we shall be entitled to immediately terminate this contract by giving notice in writing to you or your representative(s).
13. Amendments/ Cancellations by The Council/ The Venue
Should The Council for any reason need to make amendments to your booking, we reserve the right to offer an alternative choice of facilities. This includes the Council requiring the Venue for Council use at any time.
Shared Nights: Christmas Party Bookings
In the event of HG Wells Christmas Party Bookings – Shared Nights failing to meet the minimum numbers of the venue – 150 in the Wells Room, the Venue reserves the right to cancel the date. In this instance The Client will receive a full refund of monies paid. The Venue will offer alternative dates at no extra charge.
Should The Client make significant changes to the programme or the expected number of guests, this may result in amendments in the applicable rates and/or facilities offered by the council for the Venue.
The Council may cancel the booking in the event that:-
- The booking may, in the opinion of The Council, prejudice the reputation of The Venue or the Council.
- The Client is more than 30 (thirty) days in arrears of previous payments to The Council.
- The Council becomes aware of any alteration in The Clients financial situation.
- An election falls on the date booked, we reserve the right to offer an alternative date or a 100% refund.
- No failure or delay by us in exercising any of our rights under this contract shall be deemed to be a waiver of that right.
- In the event of circumstances beyond our control resulting in us being unable to provide our services, we shall have no liability in respect of any losses or damages arising directly or indirectly from such circumstances.
- Should the client contract with H.G.Wells Conference & Events Centre through an agent, the agent acts in that capacity for the client and not H.G.Wells Conference & Events Centre. The client therefore accepts full responsibility for payment of the account. This contract shall be governed by the laws of England.
- The Venue reserves the right to approve and in turn refuse any externally arranged entertainment, services or activities that You have arranged and cannot accept liability for any resultant loss.
- Any booking that requires a late licence bar must have at least 2 (two) members of security staff. How many security staff is needed depends on final numbers attending, the cost of which will be charged to The Client.
- The Council reserves the right to eject from The Venue any guest or guests of The Client whose behaviour or activities are deemed to be unacceptable to the management of The Venue. Furthermore The Council reserves the right to terminate your event and occupancy of The Venue in the case of such occurrence.
- Should this occur, no monies whatsoever will be refunded to You. The Managements decision is final.
- The cost of carrying out any repair, replacement or renewal to The Venue as a consequence of damage caused during the term of the booking by The Client or guests or guests of The Client shall be borne in full by The Client.
- No alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages or food brought in to The Venue may be consumed on the premises without prior consent by The Venue. H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre does not accept any liability for injury or illness resulting from food being brought into the venue and consumed on- site; thus the delegates/ guests remain the responsibility of the client.
- Please note a corkage fee for any beverages brought in to the H.G. Wells Conference & Events Centre for your own consumption will be charged at the following rates per bottle:
All soft drinks 33ml - £1.50
Bottled beer or cider 275-330ml - £3.00
Bottle of wine 750ml - £12.50
Bottled spirits or fortified wine 750ml - £90.00
Champagne 750ml - £25.00
Sparkling wine 750ml - £12.50
- The Venue will not be liable for any failure to provide or delay in providing facilities, service, food or beverages as a consequence of events or matters occurring beyond the control of the management of The Venue
- The Client may use The Venues name/logo in publicity, once a proof of the promotional material has been approved in writing by the management of The Venue.
- The Client is responsible for ensuring that any band, musician or entertainer employed by them at The Venue complies with all statutory requirements of the management of The Venue
- In the interest of Health and Safety, You are required to obtain the prior written approval of the management of The Venue if you wish to fix items to the walls, floors or ceilings of The Venue.
- VAT is charged at the prevailing rate at the time of invoice. VAT on this contract is calculated based on VAT at the prevailing rate at the time of booking.
All bookings are subject to these terms and conditions which may not be varied without our written agreement
* All reference to days means calendar days